Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop Recommendations
So, I figured I would ask around just because it seems that there definitely are people that know their computers around here. Anyhow, my sister will soon be needing a computer, and we are still in the process of deciding on one for her (AKA We haven't really started looking ;D ). That being said, I suppose that I am just asking if any of your have certain computers that you are fanatics about that don't cost an arm and a leg. Smile
Dat new macbookpro.

Costs an arm, a leg, and maybe an eye.
Asus and Lenovo are for sure good brands to go with.
HP and Acer are pretty good as well, but I've heard a couple complaints here and there.
Don't know much about Toshiba.
My parents have had a really rough time with their Dells.

If you are going to buy a Mac, for sure don't get one brand new from the Apple store, it will cost an arm and a leg. At least in Canada we have http://www.laptopdepot.ca/, which sells refurbished and floor model Macs for literally something like half the price.

As for processors, avoid getting anything AMD, Intel is a much better bet at this point.
If you are running Windows 7 you want at least 2 GB of RAM bare minimum. 4 GB is probably much better.

Also, screen size and battery life (and sometimes weight and the screen type) are very important - don't buy something that doesn't fit your needs but is a "good deal", you will probably regret it later.
Keep cubin'!
Asus is a fine brand, my Asus runs like a charm and it's not expensive.
[Image: 11867.png]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-Glossy...n/20863724

:3

Also, what does she need of the laptop?

Super portability
runs a word program
runs a browser
runs Battlefield 3 on ultra graphics 50000x35678 resolution
?
[Image: AK7ba.png]

Ah, okay, so pretty much everything that has been said has been along the lines of what we have been thinking. That's good! :D

Of what we have seen, I had liked the lenovos personally, and I hate macs. xD Granted, my uncle is a software engineer and he is trying to get us to buy her a mac. D:

We needs to look at portability since she will be traveling a lot next year, so we probably will end up with a smaller screen just to help with weight and what not. Anyhow, thanks for helping! Smile
If just portability, web browsing, office stuff, then 11.6" screen laptops ftw :D
[Image: AK7ba.png]

My Asus X53E laptop has been working reliably since I got it in December. (YAYSUPPORTMOTHERCOUNTRYTAIWANYEAH)

As others have mentioned above, it's all about what you/your sister needs in terms of specs.

Since there are countless of laptops out there, narrow down to what you need and then compare between models.

I narrowed down my search by:
1) Processor (ex. I wanted i7)
2) RAM (ex. I wanted at least 4GB)
3) Disk space (ex. I needed at least 500GB)
4) Brand (ex. I avoided certain brands that I had bad experience with ==> HP always overheats on me)
5) Battery life
6) Size (ex. low priority for me)
7) Weight (^)

Other factors might be HDMI support, Blu-ray, USB ports (2.0 or 3.0? How many?), speakers, etc.

When you have the models you like that match your specs, take your time to hunt for the best bargain. I got an awesome deal on my Asus - it was $1099 CAD but got it for $599 - door crasher item.

Good luck!
If you just want web browsing, consider the chrome netbook.
(06-30-2012, 12:31 PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: If you just want web browsing, consider the chrome netbook.

OH LOVE!
[Image: 942178_10202211084025654_201418072_n.jpg]