Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I made a thing [x-post from forum.cubers.net]
[SORRY FOR THE 5x COMBO POST]
I was limited to 10 pics per post but there is a damn bug that counts the pics this way: amount of pics = (amount of pics * 2) + 1

Long story short: Some years ago, my NES died and I kept it, just in case. About 3 weeks ago I decided to build a decent computer into the case, it mostly became possible because of the skylakes with low wattage and integrated GPU since the the NES case has an inexistant airflow.

I answered a lot of questions and gave extra informations about it here: Imgur link and here: r/pcmasterrace/ so don't ask where the PSU is please.

And yes, it runs AssaultCube, probably 10 of them simultaneously.

Finished product:
[Image: E3D9rSr.jpg]
[Image: dnUM69y.jpg]

The parts
[spoiler][Image: h6OajPm.jpg]
- Intel Core i3-6100T 3.2GHz
- Asus H110I-PLUS D3 (mini-itx)
- Sandisk 240GB SSD
- Scythe Kodati (CPU cooler)
- Crutial Ballistix Ultra Low Profile 2 x 8GB
- PicoPSU 160W block + connector[/spoiler]
Here is the case I used
[spoiler][Image: yiC5Jnw.jpg]
An old NES someone gave me years ago, was not working well anomore.[/spoiler]

Quickly mounted everything the first day and installed W7pro
[spoiler][Image: 3LW4jqv.jpg]
Just in case some parts were not working I needed to assemble everything and make the computer work to see if I needed to RMA something. Launching the thing with no power button, jumper style.[/spoiler]

First case modifications
[spoiler][Image: TbGsRa7.jpg]
Everything in the case needed to be removed to gain space. I only kept 5 screw spots to hold the case.[/spoiler]

The plan
[spoiler][Image: kmsveab.jpg]
I did not want to fix the motherboard directly on the plastic case so I decided to fit everything on a removable woodplank. This way, if there is an issue, I just have to remove the 5 screws, the 4 screws that hold the plank to the NES case and I am free to work on the parts. I could have used styrene instead of wood but I was short in time and I had an infinite wood stock.[/spoiler]

A big hole in the bottom of the case
[spoiler][Image: OFtfp88.jpg]
Since the NES case has almost no airflow, a hole was needed to at least let the case evacuating some heat. I decided to cut a hole in the bottom so that it's not visible.[/spoiler]
Making the woodplank fit
[spoiler][Image: aGMNrUy.jpg]
This way, it does not move even if it's not screwed yet, so that we already can work on it without having it moving.[/spoiler]

The hole in the woodplank
[spoiler][Image: ZEoABgY.jpg]
So that, the air can pass from the bottom to the case. Also, a fence will be added and it will fit between the wood and the plastic case.[/spoiler]

Backplate hole is perfect
[spoiler][Image: 8VVXrlW.jpg]
It fits so well, it's not even possible to remove it by pulling or pushing it, it's held by both parts of the case.[/spoiler]

Some O-rings to avoid twisting the plastic case while screwing the wood plank
[spoiler][Image: rT9Hhf5.jpg]
Since the fence was going to be between the case and the wooden plank, we needed to hold up the plank by a few millimeters, so that it wont twist the plastic case and possibly breaking it.[/spoiler]

Adding a motherboard holder + custom SSD holder
[spoiler][Image: UBDFDYt.jpg]
I took a spare Corsair C70 HDD holder because it had the holes to hold a SSD as well, cutted it and screwed it to a wood piece that was screwed to the main wood plank. The other white spot is here to hold the motherboard because only 3 of the 4 motherboard screws will be used, the 4th beeing under the power/reset buttons' PCB.[/spoiler]
Rearanging the wires for the LED, power and reset buttons
[spoiler][Image: zCCzME4.jpg]
Also, you must remove a small metallic part in the power switch, it holds the button and it's not recommanded, not at all.[/spoiler]

Cutting, adjusting and placing the fence
[spoiler][Image: m2xug09.jpg]
It's a plastic fence that will protect the motherboard from case intrusions.[/spoiler]

Screwing the cable port on the woodplank
[spoiler][Image: hZKp66j.jpg][/spoiler]
Placing parts
[spoiler][Image: qnwCa33.jpg]
[Image: kLUrDmD.jpg]
[Image: vQJpZQo.jpg][/spoiler]

When you open it
[spoiler][Image: Aj8JcFr.jpg][/spoiler]

Hope you enjoyed. Wink
Hah, thats cool. Surprised just that bottom hole gives enough airflow given the fact that everything is above it.

* Ronald_Reagan tries to find the PSU like it is a wheres waldo game.
LMAO

[Image: q7AMmEY.png]

Here is the picture of the PSU, half external it's exactly what I needed for this build, and this is the most powerfull PSU of this kind.
http://www.quietpc.com/images/products/p...onents.jpg
Very cool. All my nerdy co-workers gave a thumbs-up as well.
Haha, I was wondering if it had a box on the outside!