Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Partition Errors
Okay, so I figured that I would come here to ask for a little help with my computer. Here goes...

Yesterday I was repartitioning my hard drive to add on a third part that was about 40 gigabytes (which would have come from my initial partition that I was shrinking (about 930 gigs)) with gparted, but in the midst of shrinking the largest partition to make room, gparted crashed. I don't know why, but it did. With it having crashed, I have no means to access my Windows Partition. Gparted labels my windows partition as unknown, and I can only format it from that application. If I tried to boot into Windows, it would display 'No operating system...." In order to try to regain access, I fix just check to see if the boot record was faulty by using the windows installation disk and bootrec (It had happened before that the bootloader went funny, but never like this). Much to my dismay, it left me with no change. Saddened by that and the everlasting formatting type that not even God would label for gparted, I tried to see if testdisk could save me. It didn't, and I am left at booting windows to a blinking cursor. I don't know where to go, so any help would be appreciated!

With these errors, I really can't just reformat the disk to NTFS or ext4 (who knows what other formats) as I have lots of stuck on that partition that I need back (Pictures, songs, documents, settings, everything that the family has preset would be on that partition).

I am currently just getting on here with my 16 GB flash drive that is loaded with the Unetbootin version of Xubuntu, so I can run from there any application compatible with it. Sorry that I am not playing ac either D:

Sorry that I don't have any more information. If you need more to help, and you know how to get it, please tell me what to do. Thanks!
I know that if you are having Windows problems, Freddo from DES is a good one to talk to. At least better than me. I also know that at one time he had a big formatting project. I'll ask him this question and see if he knows the problem.
Yay, I have no need anymore! I went through about 50 different recovery scans and what not until I at least recovered the partition setup from before, then had to restore the boot manager (which windows was fussy about at first, so I installed GRUB). Yay :D
yay good to hear. Smile

For future computer problems, B}'s.
When in doubt, buy an alienware.
[Image: AK7ba.png]

Also, back up your data before doing anything involving big disk operations. (OS installs, partitions, formatting)
* evanzo23 feels bad because he has done these things multiple times without backups D:
[Image: 19201098.jpg]
Just think of Zoidberg.
Problem solved Cool.